Series Seven microphones provide unprecedented flexibility, as the directional
pattern of the mic can be adjusted in use, during or after recording. C700
microphones include omni/pressure and figure-8/gradient capsules, each with a
discrete output. The signals can be recorded on separate tracks, so the pattern can
be selected in mixdown. Pattern control is only one advantage of this technique.
Applying different equalization or dynamic control to the capsule signals makes
entirely different mic characteristics – for instance the warmth of a gradient mic
used close up for vocals might be combined with the transparency of a pressure
mic in the highs, by rolling off the high frequencies in the gradient signal and the
lows in the pressure signal before they are combined.
The C700A (shown) includes two capsules in one housing, a 16mm omni element
similar to the KA11 capsule in the Series Six, and a 26mm figure-8 capsule.
Completely neutral electronics, using the same cascode FET input, class-A active
balanced output circuit found in the Series Six, are provided for each signal. Any
directional pattern from omni to figure-8 may be selected by controlling the ratio
of pressure to gradient signals.
The C700S microphone has three capsules; an additional side-facing figure-8
capsule is added to the two in the C700A. Any coincident stereo pickup can be
derived from mixing these three signals together, and like the C700A, the signals
can be recorded individually and all aspects of image width and pattern control
may be adjusted in the mixdown. With the three capsule signals, any number of
microphone outputs may be created, each one pointed anywhere in the plane
around the microphone.
The capsule assembly in the Series Seven is internally shock mounted, so that the
mic may be attached directly to a stand through its yoke mount without any
Specifications common to C700 series
- Pressure and pressure gradient condenser microphone transducers
- Variable directional pattern achieved by mixing output signals (see over)
- Frequency range 20-20,000 Hz ±2 dB from reference curve
- Sensitivity –41 dB ref 1 V/Pa (9 mV/Pa) for each signal
- Overload sound pressure 135 dB SPL at 1kO load for <1% THD
- Equivalent noise level 15 dB SPL, A-weighted
- Power supply P48 phantom, 4 mA per output
- Diameter 63mm (100 mm wide at yoke), length 328 mm (C700A), 365 mm (C700S)
- Output connector 5-pin XLR type (C700A), 7-pin XLR type (C700S)
C700S RPP $8901.00